The gift is a form of communication and it must be appropriate.
Here are some criteria:
- A gift should be selected for the right reason. To meet your objective.
- A gift should convey a proper message of its purpose, i.e., it should clearly say “thank you” if that is the goal.
- A gift should adhere to the protocol surrounding professional gift giving.
- A gift should reflect thoughtfulness and good taste. And a gift definitely can be fun and humorous if you know that’s what would be appreciated.
- A gift should not be given as a pay back or as a bribe.
Giving gifts make people feel appreciated and enhance goodwill in a relationship. Careful thought regarding what gifts to choose as well as how to give them make a difference in the results achieved.